Re: Empiric studies on the impact of documentation

Subject: Re: Empiric studies on the impact of documentation
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: David Artman <David -at- DavidArtman -dot- com>, "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 09:59:03 -0700

This sort of attitude on the part of PMs falls square within my definition of a "day-to-day challenge" that many documentation people have to deal with and need to hear what other professionals think and do about them. Part of that is understanding the role documentation plays in the development and support of product, what it can and cannot be expected to "fix" if the other parts of the process are neglected, and realizing that sometimes the "fix" to a potential "documentation problem" is going to be supporting someone else whose part of the process is being given short shrift. For example, a failure analysis, safety or test engineer.

If we ignore these larger issues of our profession and only have discussion threads about things like hands-on FrameMaker or Dreamweaver issues or how to structure OLH, we run the risk of this forum becoming nothing more than a FAQ for authoring tools.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 3/29/2019 4:16 PM, David Artman wrote:

At this level of criticality, bedamned any project manager that expects "fix it in docs"

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com