Re: What do you call these little triangles?

Subject: Re: What do you call these little triangles?
From: Geoff Mann <geoff -dot- mann -at- uxwordsense -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2019 12:25:32 -0400

Not sure the context in which you need the name, but...

The icons themselves are frequently called arrows despite the lack of stem.
As for regions of hidden/visible content, they're called accordions in the
UX design world and expandos in tech comm, but both term are a bit jargony
for end users. As another person mentioned, the tooltip name might be more
appropriate, but only if it's clearly named (and they frequently aren't).

Depending on your style guide and the context in which you need to
reference them, you can usually avoid referencing such icons if you
reference the UI labels instead, such as "click X > Y > Z." (See: Microsoft
Style Guide > Writing step-by-step instructions
and Describing interactions with the UI

Hope that helps.

To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Subject: What do you call these little triangles?
<CAKWYJF4x0NZhd0g1p2u4-neAM8mGfMn4Ytu_grK5MQf-RexupQ -at- mail -dot- gmail -dot- com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

Please see image here:

When you click the little triangle, it expands or contracts the group.
There is one expanded one and below it are four that have not been

So, do these little triangles have a name?


Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development |


You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @

Previous by Author: Re: [External] Re: thought leadership content
Next by Author: Re: thought leadership content
Previous by Thread: Re: What do you call these little triangles?
Next by Thread: RE: What do you call these little triangles?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads