Re: Calculating your daily/hourly rate

Subject: Re: Calculating your daily/hourly rate
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:52:14 -0400

These days I wet my finger and see which way the wind is blowing. That is,
I don't quote the same rate for everyone. Much depends on how interested I
am in taking on the prospects assignments. If there is too much reporting,
for example, those I tend to turn down.

I base it first on the PITA factor, if I sense there may be one (and I
generally try to avoid those relationships if at all possible).

Beyond that, I look at the prospect's website and try to gauge what I might
be able to command for my work. Those that don't question my rate are the
best clients, as they're more interested in 1) getting their assignment
completed in the most professional manner, and 2) getting it done in a
reasonably quick time frame. They're not trying to bargain hunt so long as
they sense they''re going to get their money's worth.

These are the type of clients I can usually delight to such an extent that
they give me additional work along with a glowing written recommendation.
Relationship-wise, I usually provide much more than what they had
originally envisioned.

Chris Morton
(click logo â for details)
I'll wet
<https://www.the-efa.org/memberinfo/chris-morton-10670/>
â Substantive Editing â Technical Writing â Proofreading
â B2B/B2C â Marketing Expertise â Mentoring