knowledge management...

Subject: knowledge management...
From: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: Shari Punyon <sharipunyon -at- gmail -dot- com>, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 08:39:29 -0700

Hi Shari,
I've been getting into KM in an informal, ad-hoc way, and would be
interested to know what sorts of resources you'd recommend for entering
the field? or info about the nuts-and-bolts of what deliverables you
create? or what sorts of titles/job descriptions are applicable? or....
well, you get the idea -- I'm exploring this field, and am not sure yet
of what I don't even know to ask about.
Not long ago I spent a bit of time googling and reading, and came up
with the following list of things to read and think about (but haven't
yet done so in detail). Might you have any comments, pro-or-con, for
any of the following?
Organizations/Resources/Portals:
* KM Institute - [1]https://www.kminstitute.org/
* David Skyrme Associates
- [2]https://www.skyrme.com/kmorgs/index.htm
* KMT Knowledge Management Tools
- [3]http://www.knowledge-management-tools.net/
* APQC (American Productivity & Quality Center)
- [4]https://www.apqc.org/ (edited)

Overview articles:
* What Is Knowledge Management, and Why Is It Important?
- [5]https://www.askspoke.com/blog/knowledge-management/knowledge-m
anagement-importance/
* What Is Knowledge Management? (APQC)
- [6]https://www.apqc.org/what-knowledge-management
* 10 Types of Knowledge Management Strategies
- [7]https://medium.com/@stangarfield/10-types-of-knowledge-managem
ent-strategies-f947f28599a7

Thanks,
-Monique

On 9/7/19 7:05 AM, Shari Punyon wrote:

The place I landed gave me an opportunity to make a sideways move into
Knowledge Management, which is a better fit for me right now than straight
technical writing. More creative, more fun. I also got an amazing vibe from
may perspective co-workers. So, although the commute and the pay were not
great, the job was a perfect fit, and I've never regretted it, after
two years. Now I'm jumping into another KM job closer to home, and back
within what I would consider a more standard range for me. And because they
really wanted me, they were willing to got to bat with their management to
get me the higher rate, even though it was above what they budgeted.