Re: Will Adobe Reader DC Update Impact my Adobe Acrobat XI?

Subject: Re: Will Adobe Reader DC Update Impact my Adobe Acrobat XI?
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Kevin Ryan <kryan -at- harriscomputer -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 23:52:13 -0800

Hi Kevin,

The short answer is, No, updating Adobe Reader will not affect your Acrobat
Pro. However, and this is a BIG however, on Windows 10, Adobe is REALLY
INSISTENT that you set Acrobat Pro as the default application that opens
PDF files when you double-click.

In comparison, when I installed Adobe CC on my Mac, Adobe applied the
pressure to update my default app. I was all like, "No way, man! You're not
telling me what to do!" So I managed to keep the double-click behaviour to
open PDFs for reading in Adobe Reader DC. I can still right-click to choose
another reader, or Acrobat Pro. Win-Win.

Not so for Windows. I set it on my wife's computer the same way, and every
so often Adobe whines "You're not opening PDFs in this Pro version of
Acrobat that you spent all this money on" (paraphrase mine). I say, "No you
didn't!" Adobe says, "Yes I did!" I say, "Try me!"

When Adobe updates the setting, I switch it back.

Reader has nothing to do with Distiller. If you want to create PDFs from
Reader, you need to subscribe to some Adobe cloud service or something. I
don't even know if my full CC license lets me use that service.

Hope this helps, or at least entertains.

-Tony

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com