Re: In-Browser Transforms was RE: Programming language

Subject: Re: In-Browser Transforms was RE: Programming language
From: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 10:40:55 -0700

Chris,

The Turbonomic docs app works nicely. I'm surprised at how snappy it is to go from page to page, especially if it is transforming XML in real time to HTML. Also the search is real quick. This, of course, was the way it was supposed to be way back in the days when XML was going to be the future of the web. It's nice to see it working. I remember when Michael Kay came out with his in-browser XSLT 2.0 processor, but never tried it.

I recall a few years ago when I was keeping track of some of the browser bugs, that Google Chrome was seriously considering removing the XSLT code from their browser. But I see it's still there. Is any browser vendor talking about this anymore? There could not be much audience for it anymore.

On the search for the docs, how are you doing it? Do you make a precompiled index?

Also, are you using AngularJS? I see this in the HTML: ng-app="vmturbo.doc"

Mark Giffin
Mark Giffin Consulting, Inc.
http://markgiffin.com/

On 4/1/2020 6:48 AM, Chris Despopoulos wrote:

Side note, what are you using in the browser to transform DITA XML into
HTML? Some library? Your own extension of some kind?

"... implemented a Single Page App that transforms DITA to HTML in the
browser"

I use the XSLT processor that is in the browser. That means I'm stuck with XSLT 1.something or other... See this for more info: https://www.w3schools.com/xml/xsl_client.asp

Michael Kay offered an open sourced lib that implements SAX in JS, but I ran into some memory management issue that I can't exactly recall any more. Dr. Kay said that since it was open source, no fixes... He went on to make a commercial version. I'm sure it's quite good.

Beyond the basic transform, the app manages links, conrefs, search, and a few other things that turn out not to be 100% obvious. You can see it in action here:
https://docs.turbonomic.com/docApp/doc/index.html?config=7.21_XL.json

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com