Rates that uphold wages overall

Subject: Rates that uphold wages overall
From: Raphael Workman <raphaelworkman -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 10:29:06 -0700

I'm usually a corporate employee (Instructional Designer/Technical Writer), but thanks to COVID-19 I'm just working an entry-level office job to pay the bills. I've been actively applying for months, unsuccessfully. I want to begin reaching out to small businesses to offer my skills on a part-time or contract basis to earn a little extra money and potentially make some useful contacts.

I don't want to de-value our shared industry by offering my services for too little. What are your recommendations for such considerations? Are there online resources that can assist me in setting fair rates? Do any of you have personal information you would be willing to share, such as general rates (if you want to share anonymously you can email me directly at raphaelworkman -at- gmail -dot- com).

My strengths revolve around tip sheets, online tutorials (using Captivate or Storyline), SOEs, etc. and I only have 8 years of experience in the field. (ADT Security and DISH Network as a full-time employee; and editing/proofreading for acquaintances as a one-time occurence). I have an unrelated business degree, but Iâm studying to take the STC certification course - foundation level.

Thanks in advance for any advice you are willing to impart.

Raphael Workman

Sent from my iPhone
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com