HelpSmith?

Subject: HelpSmith?
From: <tammyvb -at- spectrumwritingllc -dot- com>
To: "TechWhirl List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 13:32:26 -0700

Hello,

I have a long ago client that I initially got set up and trained with
Framemaker and Webworks, and it was a great solution for them. The client
then went dark and went through a long acquisition period of other
companies, and they have now come back for more work. The problem is that
during this acquisition period, no standardization of their technical
publications was carried out and each division, and even within a division,
it's each man/woman for themselves, using their preferred tool. Yep, it's a
nightmare and spread out all over the board like 52 card pickup. One of the
tools that this particular division that reached out me uses is HelpSmith. I
think I have heard of this tool like once before in a blue moon. Has anyone
ever heard of this tool, have you used it, know about its learning curve,
etc?

The particular project that I will be working on is taking a monolithic and
obtuse 1000+ page manual and breaking it up into 3 classic manuals that need
to share information, x-reference material, and one manual in particular
will be equation heavy, which is why I am really pushing hard to stay with
Framemaker - HelpSmith does produce PDF, but it's a modular tool like Flare,
RoboHelp 2020, etc., so therefore, it's not remotely ideal for classic
manual production, especially with the graphics and equations that are
needed, but. . . I might not have a choice.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

TVB

Tammy Van Boening

Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com

www.spectrumwritingllc.com

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com