Re: Customers that make their own docs

Subject: Re: Customers that make their own docs
From: Paul Juska <paul -dot- juska -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: kafkascampi <kafkascampi -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 17:01:37 -0500

This is a common problem with developers and code: ârebasingâ ones âfeature
branchâ off the âtrunkâ or âdevelopmentâ branch. Modern version management
tools, like GIT, facilitate this process by providing functions for
a) making formal commits (âpull requestsâ) to trunk, such that a developer
can subsequently b) play back (ârebaseâ) these commits against their own
âfeatureâ branch, highlighting potential conflicts along the way for the
developer to accept (ie. the new generic common code is valid and useful
for my branch), reject (ie. My branch contains superseding code specific to
my feature) or something in-between (ie. Update my feature branch with a
new snippet that takes the best of trunk and my own feature branch.)

Many have explored and had success with using git and git-oriented tools
(like github) for managing and versioning non-code assets among teams
working collaboratively on the same asset, or subscribing to the same set
of underlying but evolving shared âlibrariesâ. In fact, I believe github
just announced a feature tailored to non-code users.

Atlassian has a great writeup on âGitFlow workflowâ - which is not just the
commands the tool offers, but how best to organize the teamâs workflow with
the tool to achieve delivery of multiple parallel âreleasesâ of the asset
in an optimized and traceable way.