Typography in technical communications

Subject: Typography in technical communications
From: Eric Scouten <scouten -at- STAFF -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1993 11:42:22 -0600

From Eric Ray's message on the STC Annual Conference:

>40TH STC ANNUAL CONFERENCE AND EXPOSITION (June 6-9):
> [...]

>Monday, June 7, 10:30 am - 10 Noon
> [...]
> VC2C "End-User Typography."

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the conference, but this workshop
title touched on an interest of mine.

I'm very curious about how typography is approached in the tech-comm field.
I work, among other things, as a freelance graphic designer. The largest
part of my work is in editing, designing, and publishing technical reports
and manuals.

I am almost entirely self-taught and the reading that I have done has
mostly been from the graphic design perspective. It includes titles from
typographers interested in publishing general-purpose books and,
occasionally, titles on information display (charts, graphs, etc.). It
seems to me that the typography of user's manuals and guides (such as those
referred to in Eric's "welcome" message) poses special challenges which
haven't been addressed in the literature I've read.

Any special techniques you've picked up or books to recommend?

-Eric
---
Eric Scouten Internet: scouten -at- staff -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu
Research Projects Coordinator Bitnet: scouten -at- umnacvx
Student Affairs Research
University of Minnesota Compuserve: 74650,2242
110 Morrill Hall
100 Church St SE Phone: +1 612 626 0746
Minneapolis, MN 55455 USA Fax: +1 612 626 8131