Hello!

Subject: Hello!
From: Michele Berkes 615-576-2352 <BERKESM -at- A1 -dot- OSTI -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1993 09:24:00 EST

Hi! I am a technical writer/editor with LABAT-ANDERSON Incorporated
(caps per insistence of my company, but that's another story), a
contractor for the Department of Energy at the Office of Scientific
and Technical Information in Oak Ridge. I copyedit technical progress
reports from DOE-funded researchers; write brochures announcing
availability of DOE reports; manage publication of compilations of
abstracts of energy-, science-, and technology-related research
(pulled from several databases); and do pretty much whatever they ask
(lots of special projects). We are the Publication Support Group (1
writer/editor, 2 editors, 1 editor/supervisor plus composition and
graphics staff).

FYI . . .
(I said this to the copyediting-l list also, so my apologies to those
of you who have heard this before.) I receive the postings from the
list through our e-mail system. All it tells me is the date/time, the
subject line, and that the message is from and to the list. It would
be helpful if those who post messages would sign them and give an
address. Of course, if anyone wants to contribute anonymously, that's
ok by me. Most folks seem to be following this procedure already, but
I thought I'd put it out there to consider.

Thanks,
Michele Berkes
berkesm -at- a1 -dot- osti -dot- gov

P.S. A pet peeve of mine is contructions such as HIV virus (the V
stands for virus, why repeat it?). Does the "l" in "copyediting-l"
stand for "list" (making "copyediting-l list" another of those
constructions)? If so, my apologies.