NTIS databases

Subject: NTIS databases
From: Joseph T Chew <jtchew -at- CSA3 -dot- LBL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1993 09:51:46 PST

This from the back cover of a trade magazine called "Technology
Transfer Business," Spring 1993:

There's a new database (actually, a gateway to other databases)
called "NTIS FedWorld." It's provided free by the National
Technical Information Service in the Department of Commerce.

I haven't browsed it yet, but apparently it gets you into all
sorts of archives and BBSes at most Cabinet-level agencies and
their departments.

The number is (703) 321-8020. They support ANSI or VT100
terminal emulation. The format is eight data bits, one stop bit,
and no parity. Speeds as high as 9600 bps are supported; don't
know what fancy protocols, if any, they offer (but most micro-
computer modems will figure out the right thing to do).

Enjoy,
--Joe

PS. Introductions: I'm Joe Chew. If we're playing $5 Title Stud,
I'll see your "Information Analyst" and raise you one "Scientific
Coordinator" (read: science writer and bureaucratic utility infielder
in the Accelerator and Fusion Research Division). My sordid past
includes newspaper writing and user and technical documentation for
micro hardware and software. BS, basic sciences with majors in
physics and math, and BS, tech comm, New Mexico Tech (our motto:
"And you thought there was nothing in this town but a Chevron
station and a Blake's Whataburger"). Program chair, last year's
IEEE International Professional Communication Conference, still
recovering. Glad to see so many friends and colleagues online!