Re: Resources for learning about the Internet

Subject: Re: Resources for learning about the Internet
From: Lynn Ward <ward -at- UX1 -dot- CSO -dot- UIUC -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1993 14:17:12 -0600

>There are several such resources. Bob M. recommends
>"The Whole Internet." A full cite, courtesy of the
>University of California's MELVYL database by way of
>the University of Washington Information Navigator
>(telnet uwin.u.washington.edu) is:

>>1. Krol, Ed.
>> The whole Internet : user's guide & catalog / Ed Krol. [Corr. ed.].
>> Sebastopol, CA : O'Reilly & Associates, c1992.
>> Series title: Nutshell handbook.

>Something scratching in the catbox that used to be my mind
>says that there's a book out called "The Internet Companion,"
>but I can't find a cite for it online.

The "Internet Companion," published by Addison-Wesley, was written by Tracy
LaQuey and Jeanne C. Ryer.

There's also Brendon Kehor's "Zen and the Art of the Internet," published
by Prentice Hall (original version available free on numerous ftp servers
throughout the Internet) and "Internet:Getting Started published by SRI
International.

Several Regional networks have put together respectible resource guide
including NyserNet and NorthWestNet. The NorthWestNet User Services
Internet Resource Guide (NUSIRG) is one of the best free guides. You can
ftp a postscript version from ftphost.nwnet.net It's in the directory
nic/nwnet/user-guide).

>John December (decemj -at- rpi -dot- edu) seems to be maintaining a list
>of Internet tutorials and information pointers and so forth.
>Some of them are probably available through the ether.

>Good luck,
>--Joe

Lynn Ward, Network Design Office
1541 DCL, 1304 West Springfield Ave., Urbana, IL 61801
(217)244-0681, ward -at- ux1 -dot- cso -dot- uiuc -dot- edu