Readers who don't read

Subject: Readers who don't read
From: Karen Kay <LL23%NEMOMUS -dot- BITNET -at- MIZZOU1 -dot- MISSOURI -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1993 17:03:43 CST

> > D(elete) 2,5 will delete messages 2 and 5.

I had trouble understanding these examples, and the import
of some of your "verbage" (sic). Perhaps it would be clearer
if the examples were 1) offset somehow, independent from the
explanation of what the command does, and 2) if the example only
included allowable text.

For example:
D 2,5
will delete messages 2 and 5.

> don't read what I give them, but they follow all
> examples like lemmings heading for the sea. I

I thought that was what users are for?

> considered just putting A or D in the manual, but I
> don't think it is too good to surprise users with
> unexpected sustem responses.

But if they type A or D, they should get the EXPECTED
response, shouldn't they?

Karen Kay