punctuating with electronic commands

Subject: punctuating with electronic commands
From: Cindy Hollingsworth <CHOLLING -at- INDYCMS -dot- BITNET>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1993 08:28:21 EST

Here at IUPUI we have developed a set of documentation standards that we
use consistently in every publication (user instruction-type). We've
also become to using graphical representations whenever and wherever
possible. For example, when stating something like "press the entery key" --
we say Press the <key graphic>

For the sake of reader understanding we leave off the period at the end of
the sentence whenever we end with a graphic.

We also use BOLD CAPS to indicate something the user should type verbatim
and lower case bold italics to indicate something the user should supply,
such as type your user.id (in this case your user.id would be in l.c. b.i.)

It seems to work for our clients.
Cindy Hollingsworth
cholling -at- indycms -dot- iupui -dot- edu