Re: Computer Literacy

Subject: Re: Computer Literacy
From: AMY WELDEN <awelden -at- SOSC1 -dot- SOSC -dot- OSSHE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1993 19:08:48 -0700

As long as we're talking about social and ethical issues related to computer
use, I'd like to suggest including Joseph Weizenbaum's "Computer Power and
Human Reason." The issues in this book are appropriate for the experienced and
inexperienced computer user from all academic areas. He does a good job of
explaining basic computer theory to the uninitiated and he talks about
social and ethical ramifications of computer technology.

It would be nice if a computer literacy program did more than taught people
what program to use and what key to press. Computers should be demystified
and understood on many levels.

Let us know what your committee comes up with.

Amy Welden Ashland Oregon
awelden -at- sosc1 -dot- sosc -dot- osshe -dot- edu