TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:Dealing with Project Managers From:CLoris <HARRIS -dot- CLORIS -at- IC1D -dot- HARRIS -dot- COM> Date:Fri, 23 Apr 1993 15:35:15 EST
As tech writers we are constantly dealing with project managers to allocate the
time and resources we need to do our job properly. On occasion we meet PMs who
give us what we need and occasion we meet the ones who don't give a hoot about
documentation (but since it's a CDRL item they are at our mercy). This little
list will help you identify you particular project manager and his personality
If you get in my way, I'll kill you!
- ideal project manager
If you get in my way, you'll kill me!
- somewhat less than ideal project manager
If I get in my way, I'll kill you!
- somewhat misguided project manager
If I get in your way, I'll kill you!
- A tough m.f. project manager
(eats glass, live cats,etc.)
If get kill in will way I you.
- dyslexic, functionally illiterate project manager
I am the way! Kill me if you can!
- messianic project manager
Get away, I'll kill us all!
- suicidal project manager
If you kill me, I'll get in your way!
- thoughtful but ineffective project manager
If I kill you, I'll get in your way!
- project manager who has trouble dealing with the obvious
If a you getta ina my way, I gonna breaka your arm.
- project manager from New York
I am quite confident that there is nothing in the way,
so no one will get killed.
- project manager who is about to get into big trouble
If you kill me, so what? If you get in my way, who cares?
- weak, uninspired, lackluster project manager
Kill me, it's the only way.
- every project manager to date.