Re: published?

Subject: Re: published?
From: Amy Welden <awelden -at- SOSC1 -dot- SOSC -dot- OSSHE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1993 10:15:32 -0700

>Now that I've essentially "written up" the findings of my study in this
>listserv group, does that mean it's "published"?

This is a topic that caused quite a stir on the WRITERS-L list. A lawyer
gave a very long winded opinion that seemed to say there are a few
problems with first serial rights and copyright. I think you're safe
because you just paraphrased your findings and did not post your paper
verbatim.

The lawyer suggested that you should tell a publisher what you
posted and let them decide. Most publishers don't know from listserv and
probably don't care. Some may err on the side of caution and consider it
published.

I think the best way to view this forum, is as a workshop and
not as a published journal. No one would put on their resume that they
have been published in TECHWR-L.

Amy Welden Ashland OR
awelden -at- sosc1 -dot- sosc -dot- osshe -dot- edu