Helping users with strayed email

Subject: Helping users with strayed email
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1993 09:29:48 EDT

What I do (of course, this is a very small site, so I have the
time) is to double-check the mail headers for people and see
if I can come up with a better address. Especially with things
going from within the United States to non-US domains, people
are easily confused. Failing that, my analogy is that it's
not really like using the post office, more like finding someone
heading in the right direction, handing them the letter, and
crossing your fingers that they'll pass it on to someone else
going even closer. Granted, this doesn't help you document, but
at least people understand some of the sources of the difficulty.
(There's also a useful book, from O'Reilly and Associates, called
!%@:: A directory of electronic mail addressing & networks. No,
that's not line noise, it's the title. It offers things like the
email address of someone in Australia who is willing to answer
questions about difficulties getting mail to Australian sites..
The authors are Donnalyn Frey and Rick Adams.)

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com