Tech writer

Subject: Tech writer
From: BURGAMW1 <burgamw1 -at- TEOMAIL -dot- JHUAPL -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1993 09:05:25 EDT

The title "technical writer" covers many different kinds of jobs. I'm a
technical writer, but I don't work on users manuals or computer documentation or
most of the other kinds of documents most tech writers I've met work on. I'm
employed by a research and development laboratory of a university and work on
diverse documents such as trustees reports, scientific articles for journals,
standard processes for fabrication, and books. I work with administrators,
physicists, engineers, chemists, space scientists. (By the way, I'm a woman, and
I've usually had good experiences with the men I work with. The few exceptions
have been just that -- exceptions.) I've even taught courses in technical
writing and publication of journal articles.

What I'm trying to say in a rather long-winded way is that technical writing
covers a lot of territory.

Murrie Burgan, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory