Re: FIFO

Subject: Re: FIFO
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1993 09:15:42 -0500

> I don't know...

> Isn't this introducing yet another acronym/jargon term into your documents?
[...deletions...]
> So what purpose will FIFO serve? How will it enhance a reader's
> understanding of arrays? And how can we use it in the least confusing
> way possible?
> Anatole Wilson
> Masters in Professional Writing program, Carnegie Mellon University

Well, playing the devil's advocate:

1 - Rather than new jargon, FIFO is old accepted jargon. I'd
rather stick with current jargon than create new stuff.
2 - As a metaphor with an established, clear meaning, it helps
those familiar with the original term visualize the array
processing that mimics it.
3 - Saying FIFO is shorter than saying "first-in-first-out" in a
manual describing array processing.

You'd have to balance the potential confusion against these advantages,
assuming you agree they *are* advantages.

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer |"Don't use the imperative!" |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| -Rhetorical contradiction |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|