WinHelp like OS/2 Help

Subject: WinHelp like OS/2 Help
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- MATIS -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1993 08:56:32 IDT

I'm producing files for WinHelp, using Microsoft Word (the only reasonable
way I know to produce files for WinHelp, since they need to be compiled from
RTF format). Of course the Microsoft Word files could be organized in such
a way as to facilitate the generation of a table of contents. You would be
left with a little labor: converting a two-level table of contents to an
upper-level file and a lot of individual lower-level files, and then inserting
the cross-referencing codes.

But that might be laboriously re-inventing the wheel.
Though I don't know OS/2, WinHelp already has a built-in feature that is
very much like the +/- scheme you describe. Each page of help is characterized
by a title and a keyword. A keyword may be a phrase. Any number of pages may
have the same keyword. The system lists keywords for the user (much like
your +), and when the user selects a keyword the result is
a list of the corresponding individual page titles (much like your -).
Since a page can have more than one keyword, this system is more flexible
than a strictly hierarchical table of contents (though you don't need to
go listing lots of pages under lots of keywords if you don't want to).
Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- matis -dot- ingr -dot- com
Publications Manager | Voice: +972-52-584684, ext. 230 (work),
SEE Technologies Ltd. | +972-52-552411 (home)
Box 544, Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-52-543917
"Graphical user interfaces make simple things simple
and complicated things impossible."
- Marty Leisner