Re: If you are not a tech writer...

Subject: Re: If you are not a tech writer...
From: Peter Montgomery <MONTGOMERY -at- CAMINS -dot- CAMOSUN -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 16:20:05 -0700

> Date: Thu, 06 May 1993 09:17:39 -0500 Thus spake Len Olszewski
<saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>

LO>If I understand you, there is no formal program to teach technical
LO>writing, or any other kind of writing, as an end in itself where you
We do have composition, journalistic and creative writing courses, but
no fully fledged program for writers per se.

LO>right term. I'll stand by my characterization of what *I* think of as
LO>technical writing, and repeat that most other non-fiction writing would
LO>improve if held to any subset of those standards.
Fine.

LO>Respectfully, I disagree. Academic writing *is* technical writing. Our

I suppose there's a first time for everything. That is the first time
I have seen that equation made. I suspecct it would not be a politic
equation to use in a lot of academic contexts, for which the phrase
_technical_writing_ would have no academic connotations whatsoever.
The rest of what you say follows, if the above equation is accepted.

Peter
* Peter Montgomery Montgomery -at- camosun -dot- bc -dot- ca *
* Exitus effigium effigies exituum *