[BERKESM -at- a1 -dot- osti -dot- gov: quotation marks and end punctuation]

Subject: [BERKESM -at- a1 -dot- osti -dot- gov: quotation marks and end punctuation]
From: Andrew Shires <andrews -at- HARLEQUIN -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1993 17:51:20 BST

> From: Michele Berkes 615-576-2352 <BERKESM -at- a1 -dot- osti -dot- gov>

> ****Begin quotation****

> Location of quotation marks is a style point in which ACS differs
> from other authorities. In 1978, ACS questioned the practice and
> recommended a deviation from it: logical placement. Thus, if the
> punctuation is part of the quotation, then it should be within the
> quotation marks; if the punctuation is not part of the quotation, the
> writer should not mislead the reader by inferring that it is.

Er, they mean `implying', surely? (I'm not questioning your transcription!)

In the UK, the `logical placement' method seems to have been the
standard practice for a long time. (See _Hart's Rules for Compositors
and Readers at the University Press, Oxford_, 39th Edition.) As a UK
reader, it's bizarre to read of a system that doesn't take account of
context.

Andrew Shires Harlequin Ltd.,
Technical Author Barrington Hall,
Barrington,
andrews -at- harlequin -dot- co -dot- uk Cambridge,
andrews -at- harlequin -dot- com ENGLAND.