Re: SUB: ADVICE FOR BEGINNING TECH WRITER

Subject: Re: SUB: ADVICE FOR BEGINNING TECH WRITER
From: Joan Miles <miles -at- CCD -dot- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1993 16:18:49 EDT

Jamie,

Since you have done some tech writing already, you are already ahead
of yourself (and others!). My advice for you would be to take some
courses in basic tech writing and editing. These will cover the
how-to's and give you ideas. I don't know of any intensive training
programs since I went by way of getting a degree to be able to do what
I do today. There is always an advantage of being trained on the job,
but it depends on what kind of training. Learning how to write is different
from learning what the company expects of you and your documents. Therefore
to me, on the job training consists of how to deal with (certain) people,
what the company standards, how deadlines are dealt with, etc. These are
things you will learn anywhere, but not in the classroom.

Also, STC is the Society for Technical Communication. You will probably
find it to be very helpful not only being a member and being able to meet
with others who do what you do, or what you want to do, but the quarterly
journals will cover a great amount of useful info and ideas. There are people
on this list serve who could give you much more info on STC than I could.

Hope this helps!

Joan