Re: SUB: ADVICE FOR BEGINNING TECH WRITER

Subject: Re: SUB: ADVICE FOR BEGINNING TECH WRITER
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1993 10:30:34 -0500

> I am new to this list serve, so please excuse me if this is an inappropriate
> question.

As you move forward in the field of technical communication, you will
come to realize that the only inappropriate question is the one you
don't ask.

[...questions regarding how best to learn technical writing deleted...]

Other people have mentioned coursework in technical communication, and I
would recommend that to you. Where I am, they offer a software technical
writing program at a local community college (specifically, the Durham
Technical Community College), of which I am a proud alumnus. NC State
has a master's program in technical communication. Several universities
located in various places have equivalent programs. Take your pick.

Regardless of how you figure out the basics, technical writing is a good
deal different than what they teach you in English Literature. There's
an entire set of principles, practices, theories, techniques, and rules
you need to know about to be a good technical writer.

At the very least, before you solicit contract work or apply for jobs,
you should be able to articulate whether a particular piece of technical
writing is good, and then clearly outline the reasons why or why not.
That's fair, isn't it? If you can do this already, you may not *need*
coursework. If you can do it, but aren't sure that the reasons you give
are correct or complete, you probably could benefit from some formal
training.

If I were you (as others have suggested), I'd have a polished and
professional portfolio of my work available to leave with prospective
employers (or clients). Might as well show them what you've already
done, especially if it's good, and it's similar to what they want from
you.

The very best of luck to you.

> Jamie Kirkley
> jkirkley -at- ucs -dot- indiana -dot- edu

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer |"Thou gettest no bread with one |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| meatball." - Robert Sheckley |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|