Re: Terminology and you

Subject: Re: Terminology and you
From: Robert Whitehead <rcwhiteh -at- MEDRCW -dot- B17B -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1993 15:27:40 CDT

In the words of Len Olszewski:

> Do the terms that your engineers or developers use to describe
> phenomena, components, products or processes seem to be
> proliferating at your job at an increasing rate?

In my case, probably not as badly as in other departments. I
develop documentation for surface and subsurface geology software;
most of odd terms I encounter are scientific. Since scientific
terms have standard definitions, they are seldom a problem.

Regarding non-standard terms, it's not as bad as it might be: I
usually can spot odd (non-geological) terms and get the developer to
explain what he means. If the new term is too close to an
established term, I set the definition; if it is not too close, we
agree on a definition or explanation, then submit it to our senior
editor (who also teaches college-level composition) for approval.
If he approves it, we have a new term.

We are lucky that Development and Documentation work closely
together over long periods; our relationship is good, and there is
lots of feedback. Consensus, however, largely depends on my doing a
lot of legwork.

But that's the way it should be, n'est-ce pas? The writer taking
charge; ensuring the intergrity of the document; being a proactive
and contributing member of the development team.
God, I love my job (except redlines)! [B-) <-- smiley at the range
\\ Robert C. Whitehead \\ Intergraph Corporation \\
\\ Technical Communicator \\ Mailstop IW17B2 \\
\\ Mapping Sciences Division \\ Huntsville, Alabama 35894-0001 \\
\\ Phone: (205) 730-1923 \\ FAX: (205) 730-6750 \\
\\============ Mailpath: rcwhiteh -at- ingr -dot- com ====================\\
Standard disclaimers apply