Re: Technical Writers vs. Technical Communicators

Subject: Re: Technical Writers vs. Technical Communicators
From: Ken d'Albenas <kendal -at- AUTOTROL -dot- CUC -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1993 20:24:59 MDT

Well, the e-mail Subject lines keep saying "Re: Technical Writers vs.
Technical Communicators," but the discussion so far is dancing around
structured documentation. As for whether TWs are different than TCs,
I'd say that TW is simply a subset of TC. IMHO, if you're a trainer,
educator, or tech illustrator, you rank as a TC but not necessarily
a TW.

Which leads me to a related item. It may fan a few flames and maybe
get me branded as a "de-professionalizer," but...

I'd like to find a short synonym for "Technical Communicator."

> GASP! <

When someone asks you what you do for a living, do you _really_ say,
"I'm a Technical Communicator?" That's eight syllables, and there
are a few pithy sayings about polysyllabic job titles - most of them
having to do with an inverse relationship between length of the job
title and importance of the job. Does the TC moniker seem ironic to
you, since what we do involves conveying information articulately
and CONCISELY?

I _don't_ want to cross swords with TCs who like the eight-syllable
term, but I sure would like to find a shorter, more CONCISE
alternative. Haven't run across any yet. Anyone have one to offer?

Cheers,
| "No one can tell what lies just around |
Ken d'Albenas | the corner; and the purpose of politics |
(-:: | is to conceal that fact." |
kendal -at- autotrol -dot- cuc -dot- ab -dot- ca | - Booster McCrane |