Re: Technical Writers vs. Technical Communicators

Subject: Re: Technical Writers vs. Technical Communicators
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1993 09:28:49 -0500

[...deletions, front and back...]

> When someone asks you what you do for a living, do you _really_ say,
> "I'm a Technical Communicator?" That's eight syllables, and there
> are a few pithy sayings about polysyllabic job titles - most of them
> having to do with an inverse relationship between length of the job
> title and importance of the job. Does the TC moniker seem ironic to
> you, since what we do involves conveying information articulately
> and CONCISELY?
> Ken d'Albenas | the corner; and the purpose of politics |

Here are a couple of suggestions, all shorter than eight syllables, some
serious:

compu-scribe
spec scribbler
rule reporter
manual wordsmith
procedure drafter
instruction noter
document czar
science scrawler

Take your pick.

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer | "The fish." |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| -Salvador Dali |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|