Redlining

Subject: Redlining
From: John Oriel <oriel -at- NTSC-RD -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1993 10:01:00 EST

I'm surprised to see no discussion of differences in performance
among the many software packages that do automatic redlining.

I've tried redlining with two packages, and found that, while
both are accurate, one consistently identifies changes with much
greater precision than the other. By greater precision, I mean
that, given a one-word change, the more precise software will show
a single word stricken, and a single word added in its place, while
the less precise software shows the whole sentence stricken, and
a whole sentence added.

Also, I didn't have much luck at getting either package to flag
moved text in a document that was over 150 pages long.

Sorry, but working for Uncle, I'm reluctant to report publicly on
which software packages I'm referring to. ;-) Has anyone published
comparative test results on redlining software?

John Oriel

oriel -at- ntsc-rd -dot- navy -dot- mil Naval Training Systems Center
oriel -at- ntsc -dot- navy -dot- mil Orlando, FL