Major PowerPoint 3.0 Bug

Subject: Major PowerPoint 3.0 Bug
From: Scott James George <sgeorge -at- CITI -dot- UMICH -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1993 20:23:15 GMT

- ------ Forwarded Message
- ------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 13:16:54 EDT
From: bmunday -at- tecnet1 -dot- jcte -dot- jcs -dot- mil

Just heard thru the local grapevine that there's a major bug with
the latest version of PowerPoint for Macintosh, Version 3.0. Microsoft
confirmed this rumor over the phone and offered a few "do's and don'ts"
as follows:

The problem occurs whenever you work with a floppy diskette or a remotely
mounted volume from inside PowerPoint, such as save to a floppy or save to
a mounted volume. Apparently, Microsoft hasn't fully nailed down the
circumstances under which this bug will bite you, but the rep I talked to
recommended that I only work from the hard drive. If you need a file sent
elsewhere, or on a floppy, do it from the Finder.

The result of the bug seems to be that the hard drive AND the floppy can be
***ERASED***
by using the floppy. Yes, ERASED. So if you value your data, don't write
to a floppy until you get the patched version, v 3.0B.

When I spoke to the Microsoft rep I was immediately promised replacement
program disks in the mail, even FedEx'd if required. So Microsoft must
really know how bad this one is. If you own the new version, call
Microsoft for a replacement, or something; just be careful until you get
the new version.

For your info, enlightenment, safety, or whatever...

Brandon Munday
bmunday -at- tecnet1 -dot- jcte -dot- jcs -dot- mil
Progress consists of replacing obvious errors with less obvious errors...
(and of course Microsoft is a very progress-oriented company)(I think)

- ------ End of Forwarded Message