Re: FAX to TEXT

Subject: Re: FAX to TEXT
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1993 07:37:00 CDT

Simon,

I have to take exception to your remark "I use faxes for
the purpose for which they were intended, and modem transmission
for what they were intended..." You and I have the equipment to
provide both soft and hard copies of a document. Not everyone
does. Some offices, my own included, still make extensive use of
typewriters. We also fax documents we received third or even
fourth hand. We cannot obtain or provide soft copies. OCR
provides a convenient method of avoiding retyping of text. Our
people are too valuable producing new text to waste their time
doing key entry of old documents.

As for using products for the purpose for which they are
intended, the finest, most convenient hammer ever made was the
8-ounce size soft drink bottle from Coca Cola Corp.

Chuck Banks
chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com