multiple versions (long)

Subject: multiple versions (long)
From: Maria Townsley <maria -at- MSD -dot- MEASUREX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 08:57:58 -0400

Writing multiple versions of the "same" manual is a major part of my job.
My User's Guide is currently @ 1000 pages divided into 2 volumes for packaging.
The manual will eventually be split into 5 binders based on modules. I
currently have the contents organized so that they are conceptually split and
will be easy to physically split within the next year or so.

The system consists of about 200 applications. Those applications are split
into 5 different areas. (These areas will form the basis for the 5 manuals.)
Within the 5 areas, I have three chapters per area. The first chapter
describes the "meaty" applications where the user actually "does" something.
The second chapter describes the maintenance applications where the user inputs
the data needed for the module (i.e., inputting states, customers, consignees,
etc.). The third chapter describes the reports that can be displayed or printed
that apply to the module.

We have a "standard" system, but every system that we actually sell is highly
customized. The User's Guide is customized to match the system that the
customer purchases. When I say customized, that means that he can select the
applications that he purchases, customize our "standard" applications in looks
and functionality, and purchase "special" applications that are written
specifically for his needs.

I usually get about 6 weeks to customize the manuals. This includes all new
screen captures, write up any new functionality or new applications, remove any
applications not purchased, review by the project manager, edits based on the
review, and printing. I've done this several times now. I'm getting to be
an expert. I'm fairly happy with how I am set up now, but I plan to change
a few things in the near future.

Currently I use PageMaker on a Mac to do the actual manual. I use an Xterminal
simulator to use the applications and take the screen captures. The screen
capture is pasted into MacDraw and saved as a pict file. The pict file is
imported by reference into the PageMaker document containing the application
description.

When I get a new project, I copy my standard manual into a new directory and
rename the PageMaker documents. All of the pict files are copied into the new
directory with the documents. The directory structure is kept parallel so the
documents don't lose their links. I go through the system, application by
application, and make the document match the customized system. Screen captures
are redone and saved with the same name. Because they were imported by
reference, the captures in the document change to reflect the new captures.

In the future, I want to change how my documents are organized. Right now, they
are organized as chapters. I want to create a separate document for each
application, then place each document (application) into a chapter document.
The chapter document is then included as part of a book based on the module.
All the modules are then included as part of a book that makes up the User's
Guide. So I really just need to break up the current chapters into
applications. This means that instead of removing applications that aren't
included, I just create a document made up of the applications that are
included.

It gets tough sometimes, but so far I haven't missed a deadline!

Now I have to figure out how to get the whole thing set up as on-line
documentation/on-line help.

-maria

Domain: maria -at- msd -dot- measurex -dot- com Maria Townsley Technical Writer
UUCP: ...uunet!mxmsd!maria Measurex
Management Systems Division
Voice: (513)-825-3931 x-316 1280 Kemper Meadow Drive
Fax: (513)-825-5393 Cincinnati, Ohio 45240