Re: resume question

Subject: Re: resume question
From: Ann Balaban <annb -at- DADD -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 18:57:06 CDT

>Karin,
I've reviewed at least 200 resumes for technical communicators in the past 10
years (I manage two technical documentation projects in two countries), and
most applicants list software (and sometimes hardware) experience. It lends
credibility. I rarely interview anyone who doesn't have software experience
(the more the better-- it shows that you can learn new systems), and I never
interview anyone who can't supply a work sample (or who has a sloppy resume).
Many companies use Interleaf, FrameMaker, etc. We use Interleaf; if I see
Interleaf on a resume I interview the person. Chances are I won't have
to spend as much time training her/him.

My experience is that there are MANY MANY people out hunting for tech writer
jobs, and many of them have a lot of experience. The more skills you can
list on your resume, the more likely you will be called for an interview.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you'd like more info/opinions (I'm full of
them some days!)

Regards,
Kathlyn Auten, Texas Instruments (214)917-1732