STC Internet Access

Subject: STC Internet Access
From: ROSE NORMAN <UAHRXN01 -at- UAHVAX1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1993 10:34:00 CST

This list, Techwr-L seems to me to be admirably fulfilling the need of
tech writers with Internet access to communicate with each other. What
the STC could do is make their bulletin board service, particularly the
job list and bibliography, available through internet. That's what they
are refusing to do on grounds of cost and staffing, and I think that's
what we should be writing to tell them how to do. They aren't going to
figure it out on their own, since they don't really want to do it, it
seems. I'm also wondering what the cost of the current bulletin board
they run is, and whether that couldn't be better spent on an internet
bulletin board. I dial in only once a month or so, to check employment
news for the jobs column I write for the local newsletter. It seems to
me that the job list would be used *lots* more if it didn't require dial-
in and long distance access. For awhile, it was much dominated by job shops.
Rose Norman
RNORMAN -at- UAHVAX1 UAHRXN01 -at- ASNUAH -dot- ASN -dot- NET