Re: Font Info

Subject: Re: Font Info
From: Margaret Gerard <margaret -at- TOSHIBA -dot- TIC -dot- OZ -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 14:58:00 EST

In the Unix based system I use fonts are,for example, defined thus:

-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1

I would like to obtain detailed information about each of the fields in the
definition. Can anyone point me in the right direction? :>)

In particular, the field fourth from the right, which in the above definition
contains the letter "p", I think defines the type of spacing between letters.
Does "p" stand for proportional? In Courier definitions the content of this
field is "m". Does this stand for mono? How many actual points is the "mono"
space? In the Japanese fonts we use, this field contains "c". Does anyone
know what this means?

Any help would be gratefully received:>)

Thanks,
Margaret Gerard
Toshiba International Corporation
Sydney
Australia email: margaret -at- toshiba -dot- tic -dot- oz -dot- au fax: 61 2
4187791