Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 20 Jul 1993 to 22 Jul 1993

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 20 Jul 1993 to 22 Jul 1993
From: Alexander Friedlander <duvm -dot- ocs -dot- drexel -dot- edu -at- DUNX1 -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 12:37:30 EDT

>I will be graduating next year with a double major in Biology/Tech.
>Writing from Carnegie Mellon University. Do most tech. writers work for
>a computer firm? I have just recently subscribed to this bboard and
>everything I read seems to be about computer manual writing. Are there
>other job opportunities out there? I am very interested finding out the
>outlook for jobs in the technical writing field, so I hope the responses
>Allison's post will be posted to the board or if possible sent directly
>to me.

>Thank you in advance! :)

>Laurie

Laurie, quite a number of our graduates go on to jobs in non-computer
firms: they work as medical writers and science writers; they get jobs in
public relations and marketing; they work for hospitals and pharmaceutical
companies. Just last week, I met with a local company that specializes in
developmental marketing with medical/drug industries to talk about setting
up an internship with them. They are looking for someone with training in
technical/science writing plus a science (such as biology). A final
comment: we are developing a new course in environmental writing to being
to meet a need in our geographic area.

Good luck with your career (from another CMU grad).

Alexander Friedlander
Director, Programs in Technical and Science Communication
Drexel University.

Alexander (Sandy) Friedlander FRIEDLAC -at- DUVM -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU

Department of Humanities and Communications
Drexel University
Philadelphia, PA 19104
ph: (215) 895 1819