Re: Electronic newsletters

Subject: Re: Electronic newsletters
From: Mike Showalter <mike -at- NWNET -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1993 15:07:57 -0700

On Mon, 9 Aug 1993, Eric Ray wrote:

> First, as soon as something is posted to a newsgroup, the copyright
> falls into question. I don't think the poster necessarily loses the
> copyright, but claiming rights would be problematic at best.

Copyrights are not lost merely by means of a distribution method. If I'm
the publisher of a newspaper, and I distribute it for free by leaving them
in boxes on street corners, I still retain the copyright. Same goes for
posting to a newsgroup or mailing list.

Mike Showalter
mike -at- nwnet -dot- net