Justifying Internet Access

Subject: Justifying Internet Access
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1993 17:50:25 -0500

This message is directed to technical writers and Tech Comm managers
who enjoy global network access (which is probably all of us).

The questions: Have you ever been in the position to have to
justify having Internet access? If so, how did you do it? If you
are a manager, what benefits do you see in letting your workers have
the ability to communicate on a global network?

If you care to know why I'm asking these questions, read on:

The story: Less than a month ago, I obtained my address to use my
company's Internet connection, which has only existed a few months.
Because of the current setup, I did this through a site administrator,
but without my supervisor knowing. (Yes, this was a mistake, for I
was not trying to be sneaky, just trying to be direct.) Since then,
he saw me using my E-mail interface, asked me what it was, and I feebly
tried to explain its capabilities. Because I don't want to appear
devious, I am preparing a memo to tell my manager what I am using
the Internet for and what its benefits are -- which leads me to the
above questions.

Background info: My manager can be reasonable, but he is admittedly not
a high-tech sort of guy. He has also said, "All the information you
need can be found within this department," which I think was a hasty
statement because it cannot be possible.

For those of you who know my boss, please understand that there are
things that I admire about him.

Help me if you can.

LaVonna Funkhouser
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com