Re: Indexing advice

Subject: Re: Indexing advice
From: Paul Trummel <trummel -at- U -dot- WASHINGTON -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1993 14:19:10 -0700

I suggest:

1. Read "The Chicago Manual of Style" Chapter 18 Indexes.

2. Adapt the word processor index program attributes to meet the Chicago
parameters and your own need. Indexing forms an integral part of, and
a concurrent function to, writing. Therefore, set up the word processing
parameters while outlining and capture the information as you write or revise.

3. Professional indexers serve a useful function in that they can
sometimes introduce objectivity. However, the author remains in charge and
more familiar with the subject matter. Many writers abdicate
responsibility for indexing by delegating to professional indexers
who only know electronic index algorithms and not the subject
matter. These authors live to regret it and usually spend the night before the
press run trying to cut and paste.