Typographical conventions

Subject: Typographical conventions
From: Susannah Skyer <susannah -at- SCO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 15:35:47 +0100

Hi Henry,

Here are the conventions we use at SCO. (We make Unix for use
on Intel platforms; our products include SCO UNIX and SCO Open
Desktop). I have found some confusion in our use of bold italics
versus italics; it might be better just to use italics. Also,
for unix, if you're doing manpages to be read online with 'man,'
you need to make sure your replaceable parameters/placeholders
are obvious from the wording, since the reader of the online
manpages won't see the formatting (on a character terminal).

Good luck,

Susannah Skyer
Unix Doc Project Lead
SCO EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa)

boldface commands
manpage section names follow entities
with manpages (on first reference).
these are reduced 1 point.
for example: cat(C); chmod(S)

literal user input (what user should type)

italics directory and filenames

bold italics placeholders
such as (login: _yourname_)

courier screen displays; other computer output

C structure members/elements

reverse video items that are highlighted in character
menus

"" (typ. quotes) data values
(for example, ... where the value is
"O" for a display adapter or "1" for
a serial port)

jargon (such as, "master" tty; "slave" tty)

document section names

small caps acronymns

bold small caps shell variables

named constants

<Key> Keys appear in angle brackets, such as:
<Esc>

bold courier C structures, such as: the _u_area_ data
structure

[options] items in square brackets in manpage
syntax lines (and sometimes in other
descriptions of commands) are optional