Re: Resume questions from a (hopefully) future tech writer

Subject: Re: Resume questions from a (hopefully) future tech writer
From: Lynnette Porter <LPORTER -at- OPIE -dot- BGSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1993 07:54:00 EST

Many technical writers don't have an "objective" listed at the
top of a resume. They have a resume designed for the specific
type of job, employer, etc., which clearly indicates that they're
applying for a job with that company. Then they don't need an
objective, which is often too vague to be a useful statement.

When I help my students with resumes, I recommend that they keep
a basic resume online or on disk. Then, when they apply for each
job, they revise the resume, reorganize sections, and fine tune
the language so that their resume shows how they are right for
that job. You might want several "basic" resumes, one to reflect
your technical writing skills, another to emphasize editing,
another to highlight your graphics skills or area of
specialization, and so on.