A Tech Writing Test

Subject: A Tech Writing Test
From: Barry Maid <BMMAID -at- UALR -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1993 10:36:28 -0500

I think this query is primarily directed toward the academic types on the list,
but I expect some of you practicing tech writers will have some most telling

I recently received a mailing from Educational Testing Services about a new test
they are developing for Tech Writing. I have to admit that I am so far out of
the loop in these things that I was totally unaware that this was in the works.
In concept the test will exist in order to offer academic credit for people who
can achieve a certain score.

I, frankly, have no problem with not forcing people who have developed skills
through experience to not have to jump through academic hoops. My concern,
however, is this test is designed to be ALL multiple choice.

The areas to be covered are
Theory and Practice of Tech Writing
Purpose, content, and organizational patterns of common types of technical
documents
Elements of various technical reports
Technical Editing

To those of you on the list who are active in STC, has STC had a role in
developing this test?

Barry Maid
bmmaid -at- ualr