Re: Technical Communication in the Computer Industry: Survey

Subject: Re: Technical Communication in the Computer Industry: Survey
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1993 15:19:29 -0500

Eric Ray asks about technical reviews and TW coursework:

> Have any of you covered reviews in tech comm programs, either teaching or
> taking?

We did it at DTCC in the context of an actual doc project. We documented
various aspects of actual internal systems there, lined up SME's,
interviewed them, prepared doc plans and schedules, had review cycles,
incorporated revisions, etc. We had some lecture about technical review,
but the topic isn't all that well covered in textbooks, so most of it
was from the experiences of the teachers (themselves working tech
writers).

Nonetheless, nothing is a bigger shock to most tech writers than facing
their first spate of review comments. Some never make it past that first
shock. More should be said about the tech review process in TW courses,
including how frank (and sometimes how rude and incorrect) the review
comments can be. Reconciling conflicting comments is also an art that
should be addressed.

After a while, of course, you understand the drill. But it's always a
little kick in the pants every time you see review comments on one of
your drafts for the first time.

But, incorporating review comments and making revisions remain my
favorite part of writing. I *hate* first drafts. But, I notice, I've
digressed, so I'll stop now. Everybody back to work on your revisions.

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer |"Code in haste, repent at leisure." |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| - Software Truism |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|