Simple question and/or

Subject: Simple question and/or
From: Greg Kushmerek <gkushmer -at- JADE -dot- TUFTS -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1993 09:43:03 EDT

> Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 15:48:19 EDT
> From: sanders_j -at- TBOSCH -dot- DNET -dot- GE -dot- COM

> >Okay, it's early in the day and my brain is failing so I'm writing for
help.
> >I've got this sentence: With FTP you can transmit ASCII and binary files.
> >An editor changed the "and" to "or"? So???

> No damn difference that I can see. It sounds like an introductory sentence
> anyway, so any confusion could be easily dispelled later. Frankly, I don't
> see any problem.

Acutally, I think I might see a subtle difference: when you first
start an FTP session, most systems I have seen default to ASCII downloads.
If you want to download a binary file, you _must_ set ftp to binary
mode.

Now, once you set ftp to binary, you can transmit either binary or
ASCII. Yet, when you first start the session you do not have this
same functionality.

Therefore, with FTP, you can transfer ASCII and binary files _only
when you set FTP to binary mode_. Otherwise, it's an 'or' situation.

My $.02

--gk

Greg Kushmerek "They [Australians] don't spell 'beer'
Financial Systems Analyst with four X's out of ignorance. . .And
Tufts University light beer is a creation of the Prince
Medford, MA of Darkness."
gkushmer -at- jade -dot- tufts -dot- edu -Morse, Thames Valley C.I.D.-