Re[2]: Technical Communication in the Computer Industry: Survey

Subject: Re[2]: Technical Communication in the Computer Industry: Survey
From: Jane Torpie <Jane_Torpie_at_III-HQ -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1993 11:00:00 EST

Janie, et al. -

Ahh, how well I remember getting back my first set of review
comments...

I worked for a Director of Database Services who had the
foresight to know that she needed a Tech. Writer on her
staff. (She was a former teacher and used red pen to make
corrections all over the page. How demoralizing!)

For a short, glorious time, I had as a mentor the outgoing
tech. writer. This woman gave me two pieces of advice that
might be helpful to anyone:

1. Figure out which comments apply to your work and which
apply to the software itself (design or implementation).
Use the former and pass the latter back to the commentor for
distribution to the rest of the team.

2. Ask people to review in purple or green pen. (Tell them
you're color-coding comments according to reviewer.)

Works for me!