Re: Reviews and red pens: an informal poll

Subject: Re: Reviews and red pens: an informal poll
From: "Kate M. Jarsulic" <kjarsuli -at- CCD -dot- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1993 15:32:39 EDT

> Red ink has never bothered me. Demoralizing tones do. And
> the tones come in every color!

I couldn't agree more. However, when I first started my career as
a tech writer, I was so eagar to please and very defensive that I
took every comment/edit as a personal insult. Since then, I have
learned to do -- what someone else said -- what is in the document's
best interst.

Still though, I have a strong aversion to red ink. It stems from a
a highschool english teacher who would 'bloody up' every single assignment
that anyone turned in.

I have politely asked people who have in the past used red to use another
color. I explain that I like to reserve red for my personal remarks and I don't
want to get their comments confused with my edits. So far, it has worked out
well.

--
Kate Jarsulic
| Technical Writer | (407)242-5316 |