Re: What is the medium we are using?

Subject: Re: What is the medium we are using?
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1993 11:37:54 EDT

I think I would say "regular mail" or "the mail" in any kind
of formal context. "Snail mail," though amusing, is sufficiently
slangy that it might, again, confuse non-native speakers, and
I'd avoid "US mail" unless I were talking about things unique
to the United States or were _sure_ that my document wasn't
going to anyone outside the country. "Paper mail" might also
do--"parcel post" is a specific service.

Thus, I would say "We sent a copy of that document by regular
mail," but "A postcard only costs 19 cents by US mail."

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com