Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 5 Oct 1993 to 6 Oct 1993

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 5 Oct 1993 to 6 Oct 1993
From: Ad absurdum per aspera <jtchew -at- CSA3 -dot- LBL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1993 15:08:00 PST

In article <9310112035 -dot- AA03353 -at- prism -dot- nmt -dot- edu>, "Charles P. Campbell"
<cpc -at- prism -dot- nmt -dot- edu> writes...

>Here's a one-liner for Thomas Barker's mug collection:
>"Most writers try to economize the mental effort of the writer,
>not the reader."
> --T.A. Rickard, _A Guide to Technical Writing_, 2nd ed., 1910.
>_Plus ca change . . .

I found this in somebody's .sig on rec.guns:

>"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
>anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
>and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..." Plato, _Phaedrus_

You might want to have a look at an original source before committing
it to ceramic, but it certainly seems... well, if not Platonic, at
least Pirsigesque, which is the next-best thing. :)

Next trip into the attic, I'll try to find the old column that I wrote
for the local STC newsletter, postulating that Hesiod was the first
technical writer...

Have a better one,

--Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"
Disclaimer: Even if my employer had a position on the subject,
I probably wouldn't be the one stating it on their behalf.