Re: Re[2]: Responsible use of Obviously

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Responsible use of Obviously
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1993 13:56:09 PDT

Jane Torpie said:
> Instead of "As you can see in Figure 1, ... " I often use " ... , as
> illustrated in Figure 1." In the case of my material, this arrangement
> usually gets the procedure step (action to be taken) or result at the
> beginning of a line (or mini-paragraph) and the figure number at the end,
> for easy scanning.

I would say "Figure 1 illustrates..." You say you put the figure nb.
at the end for easy scanning, but I think it's easier to find at the
beginning. Do you have some theoretical basis for your assumption that
the end of the sentence is where people look for things like figures?
(I have none for putting it first, other than that topics generally
come before comments.)

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com